What is an electric dehumidifier and what does it do
An electric dehumidifier is an electronic device that removes moisture from the air to control humidity levels. It does this by drawing in air from the room and passing it over a cold coil. These devices are typically used in areas prone to dampness, like basements and laundry rooms. One can also use these devices to prevent mold and mildew growth. Electric dehumidifiers come in a variety of sizes and models and are used in both residential and commercial settings.
How does an electric dehumidifier work
As the air passes over the coil, the water in the air condenses and the electric dehumidifier collects it in a container. The drier air then passes over a warm coil and blows back into the room.
Benefits of using an electric dehumidifier
- Remove excess moisture from the air
- Reduce the risk of mold and mildew growth
- Reduce musty odors
- Protects furniture and belongings from damage
- Extends the life of your belongings
Downsides of using an electric dehumidifier
The downsides of using an electric humidifier, as compared to other types are:
The downsides of using an electric dehumidifier are:
- Expensive (depending on the model)
- Take up more space compared to a dehumidifying bag
- Can be noisy
- The water reservoir needs emptying regularly
- Fire hazard if improperly installed
How to choose the right electric dehumidifier
If you’re buying an electric dehumidifier, here’s how to go about it:
When choosing an electric dehumidifier, you’ll need to consider the size of the area you want to dehumidify, the climate, and the noise level. You can also choose between a portable or a whole-house model.
If you’re looking for a portable model, consider how often you’ll move it and whether or not you want a unit with wheels.
If you’re looking for a whole-house model, consider the size of your home and the climate. You’ll need to have your duct work inspected to make sure it’s compatible with the dehumidifier.
How to use an electric dehumidifier
Here are a couple of helpful tips on using an electric dehumidifier:
- Make sure to read the manufacturer’s instructions before use
- Plug the dehumidifier into an outlet and turn it on
- Set the desired humidity level and let the dehumidifier do its job
- Check the water container regularly and empty it when necessary
- Clean the filter regularly to maintain optimal performance